We have been asked many times for a “To Do List” when selling your home, so we thought the following would be helpful:
When preparing your home for sale:
- Clean Sells – Make it sparkle. Clean the carpets and the windows.
- De-Clutter – Say goodbye to family photos and knick-knacks. Clean your closets and cupboards. If everything looks full, a potential buyer might assume there isn’t enough storage.
- Paint Colours – If you decide to repaint, stick to neutral colours.
- Remove Furniture – Less is more. Make your home look spacious.
- Lights On, Blinds Up – A must before every showing.
- Deodorizing – Instead of using deodorizers, use scented candles
- First Impressions – Keep the lights on outside and the grass trimmed. Add some potted plants or a wreath to your front door. Use mums for fall or a cedar with white lights for winter.
- Patio – This is your outdoor living space, so treat it as such. Make it look inviting all year round.
- Clean Your Garage – You’ll have to do this chore sooner or later.
- Organize Your Lower Level – Remember less is more.
- Pets – Keep any pets and their spaces clean and unseen, and when possible, consider having them stay with a friend or family member.
Gather the Following:
- A copy of your survey
- A copy of your front door key
- Your most recent annual property tax assessment
- The average monthly cost of utilities (gas, hydro, water)
- The age of your home
- A list of items you would like to exclude from the sale
- Pictures of seasonal features (gardens in bloom)
- A list of any easements or right-of-ways
- Receipts and Warranties for recent home improvements
- A completed ‘Five Best Features of Your Home’ sheet
- Any other relevant information (a list of upgrades, floor plans, builder and model name)
For Condominium Owners:
- Maintenance Fees & a list of maintenance fee inclusions
- Parking and locker numbers
- Pass Key to the building
- Status Certificate (if available)
- A list of Bylaws and restrictions
It’s important to keep up-to-date on the sold prices in your area. The Real Estate market is always changing and listing at the right price is 90 percent of the challenge to ensure that you will obtain top dollar for your investment.